Durham University - UK
- Founder of the Islamic finance programme at Durham University where he continues to be an Emeritus Professor.
- Visiting Professor at the Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies and Adjunct Professor at the International Centre of Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF), Kuala Lumpur.
- Served as advisor on Shari’ah governance to the Islamic Financial Services Board, Kuala Lumpur, (2007-9).
- Advised the Central Bank of Qatar on monetary policy and prudential ratios, (2009-10).
- Undertook a project for African Development Bank on the status and potential for Islamic finance in North Africa, (2011).
- Working on capital markets in North Africa for African Development Bank.
- Wrote 12 books and over 40 articles.